Oct 8, 2004

simplicity v.s. the richness of the personal character

I attended a class called science of music. The teacher requires all the students to compose one piece of music in midi form in November, the end of the semester. I am now trying the software he provided to listen and write several notes. I am happily surprised to find out there are so many instruments for me to choose, but sadly at my weakness of describing what emotion the music is carrying, in other words, though I can feel the difference between pieces of music, I couldn't tell in words what exactly I am feeling.

I am trying to figure out why it happens on me. The first reason, I can think of, is that I am not good at expressing feeling even in daily life, nor have I seen the need in my previous life to express my feelings. My previous life do not comprise variety of emotions, simply because it is too simple, to be more specific, from school to home, and then to school. And the role I am playing in my life is son, student, and then student, son again, oh, perhaps often friends and classmates. That is all. So the second reason for my lack of rich emotion is that my life is simple and there is no complicated feeling for me to express.

However, since I see farewell to my parents and the city I was born and went on a journey to explore the world on my own, I began to see the need not only to advance my knowledge, but to explore my realm of emotion also.

The first thing for me to do is to distinguish the different emotions in words, perhaps the music will serve as a good guide.

No comments: