Oct 30, 2004

grids and concentric circles


Today two old notions of morality, mentioned by my philosophy teacher, came into my mind when I think about the human love. The notions can be explained as grids and concentric circle of morality. For the first one, it is said that we have some moral principle which guild our actions and we apply it equally to everyone, such as punishing the murder. For the latter, it is said that we owe much more to those near us, so sometimes we tend to tolerant more about them. They sometimes contradict each other in some specific situation. (Actually it is related to my first philosophy paper-when should be ok to play favor to those close to us? May be the one out of only two in my lifetime)
And when I think about desire and impulsion and rationality, I found something similar. If the ration is like the grids and the impulsion is like the concentric circle, I will feel better if I rationalize the degree to which I can extend my desire and impulsion, when I express my feelings and acts accordingly.

No comments: