Dec 2, 2004

the benefit of writing summary or outline of a book

I find that writing summary or outline of what I am reading, especially textbook, will help me grasp the whole subject and understand it better. I have practiced it since the first year of my university life. Writing summary or outline in the process of reading will help me keep a track of what had been stated in the book, preventing me from losing myself in specific details. It reminds from time to time me that which part of the subject I am now going to detail. And it also let me to think about how one part of a subject relates to other parts of the subjects, and hence get a full view of the subjects. So, though writing the summary or outline will slow down reading, it is actually a more profitable. I will keep this habit when reading new subjects and science articles.

No comments: