Dec 26, 2007

Critical Self-assessment 3 -- Health

The last thing one would do in a trip is to get sick, that's what I did during my trip to Banff. The day after I got Lake Louise Hostel, I went ice-skating on Lake Louise, and then I got sick. While I was lying on my bed, I got this crazy idea of linking the rate of metabolism with what traditional Chinese medicine call the small furnace in human body. The more vigorously your small furnace burns, the faster the rate of metabolism, and hence the more heat the body generates, and the less susceptible to cold the body is.

This idea of linking metabolism with small furnace in the body, though may not be justifiable scientifically, explains quite a few things happened to me. In cold weather, metabolism slows down, and the small furnace is slowed down too. As a result, my digestions slows down; my body doesn't generate or preserve enough heat, and I get sore knees, sore head. The most annoying symptom is that I cannot do anything but rest after I have food.

This linkage provides me with a solution too. To increase the rate of metabolism in cold weather, the body has to get used to cold weather so that it functions as if it is in normal weather. Early morning running in winter and cold water shower are too possible options. Besides, food with the character of hotness like ginger and cinnamon tea will help me cope with cold weather too.

I am on my way back.

Image source: www-old.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk

No comments: