Nov 12, 2004

what can be generalized from experience


In the last post, I conclude that experience, providing concrete example to life criteria, is important to me. The experience not only serves as an opportunity in which I can practise life criteria; they are also the source of new life criteria. I generalize my experience and make conclusion. I conclude from my personal experience that when weather changes, it is easy for me to get cold and it is the time to take some Vitamin C. But because of various reasons, generalization from personal experience can go too far from being true. I once drink the coffee in the Hall Canteen, and it tastes awful. So I generalized that all the coffee are bad, and I will remain drinking tea. You can imagine how soon I will change my mind. So, what can I generalize from the experience? I think the crucial thing is to find essential reasons. The change of weather results in the decrease of my immune system, and so I am easy to get cold. The decrease of my immune system is the essence of that generalization. However, the bad taste of coffee I had tried is not the essential property of all the coffee, though it is for those offered by my Hall Canteen. So find the essence is key of generalization from personal experience.

No comments: