Jun 17, 2007

Critial Self-assessment 2 -- Research


What do you want to know?

In summer, research becomes the sole component of school activities, and for the first time, I taste its intensity: endless possibilities, daunting amount of information to digest and, of course, random excitement. One confusion I had at the beginning stage is how can I possibly do any research if I haven't read all the articles in my field.

The reading is endless. I despair when seeing the number of articles popping up in the search engine. Luckily, one senior member in my group helps me to solve the problem. He simply asked me "what do you want to know?". Even though the field is huge, any project is small, and the knowledge required to kick the project going is small.

This question is an extended version of the more general question: what do you want. I still remember on the first day I met my mentor, he said to me that I will make my life easier if I know what I want. It seemed easy, but in practice, it is not. Now I know why.

No comments: