Jul 12, 2005

Communication

"You can speak the same language, but still fail to communicate."

In a Personal Statement workshop in Nanjing University last Thursday, MCK, an American and my group member of When Pigs Fly, translate "stereotype" to "成见" and "偏见", and then talks in Chinese about the stereoypes of Chinese students in US graduate schools. The audience get confused when he refer both strength and weakness of Chinese students to US gradute school's "成见". The difference between stereotype and 成见 is subtle; the later has negative connotations while the former does not.

Not only would misuse of specific word cause failure of communication, but also the unawared disagreement of the definition of word. In a E-mail to MCK, I talk about the "design" of When Pigs Fly website, which in my mind means the CSS design, a computer programming language. But I fails to mention it explicitly. MCK get confused, because what he perceive design is the layout of contents displayed in the browser.

Enlightened by my first expeirence, I try a different strategy when explaining the structure of the website to Matt, another group member who does not know anything about the web technology. "The webiste is like a building. The domain of the website is like the name of the building. The domain are listed on the signposts of internet, the DNS, which guides the browser requesting specific pages to the website server. The website server is like the land the building stands. The webpages are the actual building, which you can modify, decorate and reconstruct by rewriting the page codes." I feel satisfied when he understands what I mean after my explanation.

No comments: