Mar 19, 2006

What is knowledge? : Why am I interested?


Since the first semester in college, I have been stuck to the belief that the main purpose of college life is to learn knowledge. It seems ironic, however, that I have spent nearly four years seeking knowledge without a clear understanding of what it is. So I wish to find justification of my purpose of college life.

Also, I often perceive in myself a feeling of excitement and satisfaction whenever I open a book on a new subject. And the link, I think, between books and knowledge is direct, so knowledge is what I desire. Understanding of what is knowledge might shed a light on understanding on my desires.

Besides, understanding the nature of knowledge will provide guidance for my future if I pursue a professional career in science, whose sole purpose is knowledge. I can imagine now that at some point of my scientific career, I will inevitably question myself whether I make original contributions to the mansion of knowledge. Making clear the direction I am heading as early as possible is beneficial for me in the voyage of science.

What, after all, is knowledge?

No comments: