Jun 25, 2005

Free the mind

"oki, oki, free my mind, free my mind" Neo mumbles repeatedly before he makes his first jump between buildings in the film Matrix, my favorite.

I had a free conversation yesterday with an eighty-two-year-old man, who is the husband of my grandfather's sister and an old expert on education. I asked him the question of efficient schedule, or more precisely, how to manage time. "Free your mind!", he urges. Do not be confined by any form, such as a timetable or a pre-designed schedule, he adds. When I speak confidently about my arrangement that I swim once a week and play football once week, he said "open your mind. Play football whenever you want and swim as many times as you want."

Though his view may be a little like self-indulgence, the most important point he made and the most enlightening point to me is that do not set boundary to oneself, especially in the form of a strict time schedule. Doing what one really wants to do is the key to efficiency.

No comments: